If you’re using a new Nvidia or ATI graphic card, you will most likely have to install a proprietary driver for it which you can do under System > Administration > Restricted Drivers Manager. If you are not sure, please try to get Compiz Fusion working without a proprietary driver first, and if it doesn’t work, install the proprietary driver for your graphic card using the Restricted Drivers Manager.
1)Open the Synaptic Package Manager (System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager)
2)Use the Search function and search for compizconfig.
3)You should find the package compizconfig-settings-manager in the results. Click on it and select Mark for Installation.
4)Accept that package’s dependencies by clicking on Mark.
5)Afterwards, you should also select the packages emerald and gnome-compiz-manager for installation (you can use the Search fuction again to find them).
6) Accept that package’s dependencies by clicking on Mark
7)Next, click on the Apply button.
8)Confirm your selection by clicking on Apply again.
9)Afterwards, the packages are being downloaded and installed.
10)After all packages have been installed, you can close the Synaptic Package Manager.
Enabling Compiz Fusion
- To make sure that Compiz Fusion is enabled, go to System > Preferences > Appearance.
- In the Appearance Preferences window, go to the Visual Effects tab and make sure that Custom is selected. That’s it already. To configure Compiz Fusion, you can click on the Preferences button.
You can do the same by going to System > Preferences > Advanced Desktop Effects Settings.
- In both cases the CompizConfig Settings Manager opens where you can define the behaviour of Compiz Fusion.
Here’s a list of the most common Compiz Fusion keyboard shortcuts:
- SUPER+SHIFT+DRAG LEFT MOUSE = draw fire
- SUPER+SHIFT+C = clear fire
- CTRL+ALT+DRAG LEFT MOUSE = rotate cube
- CTRL+ALT+LEFT ARROW = rotate cube
- CTRL+ALT+DOWN ARROW = flat desktop
- SHIFT+ALT+UP = initiate window picker
- CTRL+ALT+DOWN = unfold cube
- ALT+TAB = window switch
- SUPER+TAB = flip switcher or ring switcher, depending on which is enabled.
- ALT+F7 = initiate ‘move windows’
- SHIFT+F9 = water effect
- SHIFT+F10 = slow animations
- CTRL+ALT+D = show desktop
- For Grouping and Tabbing:
- SUPER+S = select single window
- SUPER+T = tab group
- SUPER+Left = change left tab
- SUPER+Right = change right tab
- SUPER+G = group windows
- SUPER+U = ungroup windows
- SUPER+R = remove group window
- SUPER+C = close group
- SUPER+X = ignore group
- Hold the SUPER button then select the windows you want to group and then hit SUPER+G.
The SUPER key is the Windows key on most keyboards.